Man Charged in ’96 Brigantine and ’03 Galloway, NJ, Sexual Assault of Kids Staying Jailed
The Egg Harbor City man who has been charged in connection to the sexual assault of two girls a number of years ago will remain behind bars following a detention hearing.
Acting Atlantic County Prosecutor Cary Shill says 59-year-old Brian Lee Avis appeared before a judge Monday morning on charges that he sexually assaulted a 5-year-old girl in Galloway Township in 2003 and a 10-year-old girl in Brigantine a quarter of a century ago.
Avis was arrested earlier this month and charged in connection to the alleged crime in Brigantine after officials recently reopened the case and reanalyzed a DNA sample, which, they say, allowed them to identify him as a suspect. That latest round of police work then lead to charges being filed in Galloway just days later.
Lynda Cohen at breakingac.com reports Judge Donna Taylor found Avis to be a danger to society following today's arguments in court. "The conduct was predatory and raises concerns as to how this defendant knew a 10-year-old and 5-year-old resided in the homes and exactly where their bedrooms were," said the judge.
Avis remains held in the Atlantic County Justice Facility.
The public is reminded that charges are accusations and all persons are considered innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.