Middle Twp. Cops Rescue Elderly Couple from House Fire
Two police officers in Cape May County rescued two elderly people from a house fire last week in Rio Grande.
The Middle Township Police Department says just before 6:00 last Friday morning, they received a report of a fire at a two-story building that had a first-floor main residence and a second-floor apartment at 105 Holly Drive in Rio Grande.
They say Ofcs. Mark Bakley and Shawn Rocca arrived on the scene before firefighters. They found the second-floor tenants, two adults and a four-year-old, were already outside as the building was burning. They were advised that 83-year-old Frederick Hofstetter and 72-year-old Susan Hofstetter were still inside on the first floor.
According to a press release, "After being unable to gain access through the front door, Bakley and Rocca, gained access through a secured rear fence and found that the rear sliding glass door was unlocked. With the house being on fire and filled with smoke, they entered the residence to find Frederick and Susan asleep in bed. They were able to wake them and get them out of the house safely, as well as, their dog."
The Rio Grande and Green Creek Fire Departments responded and extinguished the fire. The Cape May County Fire Marshall’s Office determined the fire was accidentally started by a cigarette butt left on the second-floor deck.
No injuries were reported by police.
How Many in America: From Guns to Ghost Towns
LOOK: Milestones in women's history from the year you were born
More South Jersey News: